Sunday, January 8, 2012

South Africa - I

I was advised from a top Chicago Photographer to spend some time in South Africa [SA] because “black [dark-skinned] models can really make it there”. This was after trying for several years to get signed by an agency in the Midwest. I took his advice and 90-days later I returned to the States with enough experience (tear-sheets) to be put on the Men’s Division board at FORD Models - Chicago.

Cape Town (a very developed and international city…think Los Angeles with 80% of the population-black) is quite similar to Chicago with it being very commercial driven. The majority of castings I went to were for TVC’s (television commercials) advertising products from banking, to jewelry, to beer. I had no previous on-camera experience which probably explained why I only booked one non-print job. It was a voice-over job for a TVC pilot; beverage company.

It’s interesting what the perception is of Americans when one travels abroad. The conclusion I came back with was that – Americans, specifically from the US, are arrogant, rich, obnoxious – or all of the above. I was quite a shock to those that had that opinion because I didn’t fit those stereotypes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment